Monday, April 27, 2009

Triathlon Training Day 8: 5K Run

Today I wanted to do a 5K run and get in the P90X Chest & Back workout. Well, I was able to do the 5K run but my body was not ready to do Chest & Back. When I did the Brick yesterday I felt very good afterwards. However, today I was feeling a little tired. I probably just should have done Chest & Back but Annie wanted to jog so I did that first thinking I could do P90X when I was done but that did not happen!

The run today was one of my better efforts despite being sluggish. I started out rather strong doing my first mile in 7:53. Once again the wind was blowing at 30 mph. It doesn't bother you as much as it does when on a bike but it still requires you to work a little harder. When we were done Annie looked at me and said, "that wind was a bitch"! She was so right!

Anyways I did the 3.1 miles in 25 mins and 43 secs today. This is by far my best time and I am happy that each time out running I am getting stronger and stronger. When I first began I was running on the lower range of my target 147-155 heart rate. Now, as I feel stronger, I am keeping the BPM right at 155. Sometimes I catch myself up around 160 and have to back off but for the majority of the runs I am staying in the aerobic zone!

Today I am schedule to swim. I may not do this and Chest, Back, and ARX instead. The reasons are that I really want to get a P90X workout in and I am in the middle of reading, "Total Immersion", a book about Freestyle swimming techniques. So far this book is awesome and has totally changed the way I view swimming. It has a bunch of drills for me to practice and will probably end up changing my entire workout schedule for the better! I just need to finish the book so I can figure out how to incorporate my new fish-like swimming technique!

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

1 comment:

  1. I have changed my routine a bit because chest and back is tough on run day. I now do run and swim on Mondays. Tomorrow I will do Upper Plus and abs. I am finding that I have to separate some of the cardio from the strength days.

    Hey, great job on your 5k today. Your times are impressive. Your training is going well.

    That TI book is awesome. I had a chance to practice it today and I actually shave some time off of my swim.

    ReplyDelete