Sunday, August 23, 2009

P90X Hybrid Day 16: 2 Miles Speed Run

Today I REALLY wanted to hit the trail for a long ride on the new Quintana Roo! This morning we went to the hospital to visit one of my wives good friends who had a baby boy last night. I figured that it would cool off (low 90's maybe) in the evening and that's when I could cycle away. I got on my padded shorts, shimano shoes, jersey, checked the air pressure in the tires and went inside to get a water bottle and that is when I heard the loud crack of thunder!

Yep, the sky opened up and it was pouring. I considered still going in the rain but my wife talked me out of it. Using the reasoning that I am still not real comfortable on the bike yet and it might be dangerous in the rain. She is much smarter than me!

The gym was already closed so I couldn't go to the pool. So, my options were to either run in the rain or do a P90X workout. I was feeling stir crazy so running in the rain it was! Now the problem with this is that I have ran the last two days for a total of 11 miles. My legs are not used to this type of mileage and they were already pretty sore. I started a light jog to warm up and I could feel my calves already tightening up. At this point I was already soaked from the rain and I decided to go balls out for 2 miles just to see what I could do. Every now and again you got to push yourself just to see what you can accomplish. I hit start on the Garmin and took off. Mile 1: 6:57; Mile 2: 7:10. Two Mile total: 14:07. My legs are feeling it right now too, but it was cool to record those times on a run!

Tomorrow is Shoulder & Arms. I was planning on getting up early and running but my legs may fall off so that ain't going to happen. Tuesday I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can get on the saddle and log a few miles!

Oh, Finally sold my Road Bike today. It went to a young guy who is just getting into biking and I am happy he will get some good use out of it!

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

7 comments:

  1. Jeff those are awesome times especially in the rain! I'm hoping to wake up and go for a Monday morning jog. I still don't have a heart rate monitor. do you recommend any? Have a good next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man -- I have a Garmin 305. It is a GPS, multisport device. I use it for all my training. You can get it on Amazon for around $150.

    If you aren't looking for something that crazy you can go get a Polaris Heart Rate Monitor at any sporting goods store for about $50. They usually work with the built in HRMs on Treadmills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I broke my ring finger catching a line drive on Saturday, and I had to cut off my wedding band to save my finger! So now, I guess I'll have to reshift my workouts into a recovery week. My hand can't handle vinyasas, pushups, pull-ups, or hold dumbbells yet. So I might take up running for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff... you are a wild and crazy man! You crack me up. Hey, great times on the run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve - dude that sucks man! Sorry to hear that about your finger.

    My question is did you hold onto the ball? hehe

    The positive is that you can now become cardio man - i guess?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Boomer - it is funny to look back 6 months ago when I first began running compared to now. I just wish I liked it a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I held on to it, and it hurt! But it hurt more to cut off my wedding band. Except for the occasional polishing, I've worn it every day for 19 years.

    ReplyDelete