Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Essential Triathlon Swimming DVD

Ok, so if you have been reading my blog for any length of time you know that I struggle with swimming. More specifically I struggle with the Open Water Swim. I can pound out lap after lap in the indoor pool but when it comes time to race in a lake my form and fitness seem to escape me! I have never had any formal lessons and everything I have learned about swimming is from the Total Immersion book or fellow Triathlete Bloggers. I am at a point where I need to either hire a coach or try a different approach. And since I really do not want to shell a bunch of cash on a swim coach I will go with the different approach!

So, I have decided to try an instructional DVD titled, "The Essential Triathlon Swimming DVD".

This is a Tri-specific swim video created by Kevin Koskella who has over 27 years experience coaching and competing in Triathlon. It was recommended on the BeginnerTriathlete.com forum and is one of the few instructional videos that I found geared strictly for Triathlon.

I have been emailing with Kevin and have agreed to review the DVD on the blog. So over the next couple of weeks I am going to set some baselines for my swim times at 100 meters, 200 meters, 400 meters ...etc. Then I will follow Kevin's program to the letter and do a review (P90X Style) after I complete each section. Then when it is all said and done I will go back and measure my performance against the previously set baselines. But the true indicator of success will be how I perform in the Olympic Tri I have scheduled in April.

I am pretty pumped to get started with Kevin's program and am looking forward to sharing it here on the Carrot!
Thanks for Reading,
Jeff

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to read your review. I will need some training aids as I get back to swimming after the marathon.

    I have the TI open water DVD, its pretty good, but not great. The technique is awesome, but the quality of the video is 3 stars out of 4.

    ReplyDelete